Automatic data backup software is a software for keep in safe your valuable
and unique data.
Data backup is an actual problem for everyone using computers:
home users, mobile users and business companies. Modern automatic data backup software
can be customized by minutes. Several simple steps with wizard window and
it create backup profile with everyday scheduled automatic backup.
It will ensure regular backup of important data. Automatic backup software
prevents data loss in many cases: hardware failures, viruses,
corruption by human, theft.
There are two types of automatic software for backing up data:
1) Files backup software.
Best solution for business or private data backup. Any valuable file can be restored to the date of
any previous backup;
2) Imaging backup software.
It allows restoring whole disk. All changes since last backup will be lost:
new and changes files will be overwritten or erased.
This software uses several modes of backing up data:
1) Full backup.
Full and independent copy of data, but it consume a lot of time to perform;
2) Incremental backup.
Only new files and changed since last backup (full or incremental) will be saved.
Best speed, but restoration requires full backup archive and all incremental backup archives
till restoration date;
3) Differential backup.
Only new files and changed since last full backup will be saved.
Good speed. Restoration requires only full backup archive and last incremental backup archive.
It will be executed automatically:
1) During start up or shut down computer.
Executing during start up is preferred, because backup execution can take a lot of time;
2) Scheduled with flexible options - month day, week days, everyday hours.
Computer can shut down after backup complete by special option.
Backup data keeping in archives:
1) Open industry standard.
This format is recommended for long-term keeping documents, which can be restored
anytime in future by new software;
2) Private format.
Good solution for restoration on the same computer.
Restoration data on new computer can be difficult: new Windows version or new equipment
may be incompatible with old backup software.
Unauthorized access to content of backup archives can be prevented by strong encryption,
for example AES 256-bit. Also encryption protects vital data from corruption by human.
Automatic backup software can be:
1) Standard windows application;
Flexible software with wizard mode can be customized by any user.
2) Windows service with client interface tool;
Major advantage is backing up data without user logon to Windows system.
3) Command line tool.
This flexible solution can be seamless united with complex data
Storage of backing up data:
1) External hard disk - cheap for huge data amount, sensitive to shakings;
2) DVD - durable against mechanical shock, electrical and magnetic fields.
Cheap for long-term storage;
3) Flash disk - durable against mechanical shock, short-term storage,
small amount of data limited by disk capacity and relatively high cost;
4) Network - using storage devices attached to server: external hard disk, tape recorder.
Or Network Attached Storage (NAS). Backup archives can be requested from any computer at anytime;
5) Internet storage - safe against technical and natural disaster, building fire.
Internet connection speed limits size of data for backing up.
1) Shut down after scheduled backup complete to reduce energy consumption;
2) Email notification on backup errors.
Automatic backup software can licensed as:
Summary - important criteria for choosing backup software:
1) Hardware requirements: computer specification and backup storage type;
2) Software requirements: Windows version and service packs, third party software;
3) Performance of everyday and weekly backup;
4) Options: backup specific data, security level, partial or full restore
on the same or another hardware, etc;
5) Ownership: new license and upgrade price;
6) User competence: basic, middle, advanced.